Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

specimen overprint question

I found these Royal Wedding omnibus stamps that has "specimen" overprinted. Anyone know why this was done? Seems to be just on a few countries.
Geoff Hodgetts

(28-03-2021, 02:31 PM)hodgetts Wrote:  I found these Royal Wedding omnibus stamps that has "specimen" overprinted. Anyone know why this was done? Seems to be just on a few countries.
Geoff Hodgetts
Hi Geoff, I don't have ready access to Gibbons' catalogues, nor any from the Australia/New Zealand area, and I've found almost nothing about these anywhere on the 'net which describes them. It appears, though, that they are legitimate items (perhaps remainders?) that are sold to collectors, but with no postal value. Perhaps a cash generating 'scheme' with no obligation to provide a service? Bruce

(28-03-2021, 02:49 PM)bruceM Wrote:  
(28-03-2021, 02:31 PM)hodgetts Wrote:  I found these Royal Wedding omnibus stamps that has "specimen" overprinted. Anyone know why this was done? Seems to be just on a few countries.
Geoff Hodgetts
Hi Geoff, I don't have ready access to Gibbons' catalogues, nor any from the Australia/New Zealand area, and I've found almost nothing about these anywhere on the 'net which describes them. It appears, though, that they are legitimate items (perhaps remainders?) that are sold to collectors, but with no postal value. Perhaps a cash generating 'scheme' with no obligation to provide a service? Bruce
Thanks Bruce. They were in with the other "legit" stamps from the various Commonwealth countries that issued stamps for the wedding. I think they came as part of a new issues subscription service back in the '80's that I signed up for. So, probably as you say, meant for collectors but not for postage.

Many of these are catalogued by Gibbons (notably Australia).

The UPU requires SPECIMEN overprinted copies for distribution to its member nations so they (supposedly) can recognize legitimate postage. That was the original source of specimen issues.

However, these modern topical omnibus sets are created and distributed by philatelic companies such as Inter-Governmental Philatelic Corporation which represent many "third world" countries and do all their new issues for them. They wouldn't pass up the chance to create additional "collectibles" to sell to their subscription customer base, given half an excuse.

Roy

https://www.buckacover.com     << 90,000 covers 60c to $1.50 !!!
"The next best thing to a stamp show"

Thanks Roy. Very helpful! That explains why they appear only on some countries, ie those whose stamps are created for them by outside interests.